Kuzhi Paniyaram or Rice Buns is an indigenous south-Indian preparation created by steam cooking or shallow frying fermented batter made using rice and black gram dhal (split black lentils) simply called idly batter. It is made from the special cookware called paniyarakkal which have moulds in it.These delicious dumplings can be eaten as breakfast or appetizers.They are commonly preferred as a tiffin item as they are convenient and non-messy. Why is this dish everyone’s favourite? Yes, they are so much like idlis and unlike idlis,they are soft from within but crisp from out.Try this recipe and indulge your taste-buds.
Cook Time : 20 mins
Prep Time :10 mins
Recipe Category: Appetizers / Breakfast
Ingredients needed :
Idli Batter – 3 cups
For the seasoning :
Oil -3 tsp
Mustard seeds -1 tsp
Urad dal -1/2 tsp
Onion – 1
Green chilli -1 finely chopped
Ginger -1-inch piece – finely chopped
Curry leaves – few tender ones
Carrot – 2 shredded
Coriander leaves – few finely chopped
Salt – If not added prior in the batter
- Heat oil in a pan / kadai, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add urad dal. When dal turns golden brown, add finely chopped onions, ginger, green chilli and curry leaves.
- Saute till onions turn pink, add needed salt and mix it with the idly batter.
- Now mix the shredded carrots and coriander leaves with the idly batter. Our paniyaram batter is ready now.
- Heat a paniyaram pan, add 2-3 drops of oil in each hole and pour a tbsp of batter in each hole.
- Keep the heat on medium-low and close the pan. Once the edges turn golden brown, flip over the paniyaram to the other side using a stainless steel rod or spoon.
- Cook the other side also until golden brown. Remove from pan using a rod or spoon and serve hot with tomato chutney or mint chutney or arachuvitta sambar.
Adding more oil makes the paniyaram more crispy but avoid using too much oil just for taste purpose. After all, health comes first not the taste.