Jalebi is a dessert dish which has been a preferred item for any festival occasion. I have never tried this recipe because I thought this cannot be done in home. I always prefer doing some festive foods only on Diwali may be I am bit lazy. I was bored with usual sweets so decided to try something new.While I was searching for some interesting festive sweet recipes I happen to watch a video in youtube about Jalebi recipe. I was so fascinated on seeing Jalebi can be prepared in home. So decided to try and for the surprise the taste was sumptuous. It was not like the one prepared for the first time. My hubby and daughter just loved it but I dont know how I forgot to post it. Accidentally I got to look the images I took on preparing the Jalebi while taking a backup.Thank God I saw the photos and the post is here now. Jalebi is not any instant sweet to make, you need to wait overnight for the batter to be fermented. I prefer no to use yeast and other than that this is so simple and easy to do.Let’s start with the recipe and let me know how was your experience on trying this out.
All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 1 cup
Corn flour- 2 tbsp
Yogurt (Curd) , Sour – 3/4 cup
Baking powder- 1/2 tsp
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Orange – food color
Ingredients for the sugar syrup
Sugar -1 cup
Water- 1 cup
Method to Prepare Jalebi Batter :
- Mix the maida, corn flour, baking soda, ghee and food color (orange) in a medium bowl. Combine all the dry ingredients well, until well combined.
- Add yogurt to the dry ingredients and blend them all together using the egg beater to make a thick batter by adding very little water. The consistency of the batter should not be either thick nor watery, batter should be able to make a shape when piped in a piping bag.
- Now the batter preparation is ready but not yet for making jalebi. Batter has to be fermented,for that cover and place it in a warm place for 24 hours or overnight (the batter will rise on fermentation).
- Once the batter is fermented give a gentle stir and do not over stir. It is ok to prepare jalebi with air pockets which will be useful for the jalebi crispiness and also for absorbing the sugar syrup.
Preparation of the Sugar Syrup :
- Boil 1 cup of water along with 1 cup of sugar and saffron in a small bowl on medium heat until the sugar dissolves. When the sugar becomes thick and stringy of one string consistency.Turn off the heat and keep aside.
Preparation of Jalebi:
- Fry the jalebi in the medium flame until it turns golden color and crisp. Fried jalebi’s should be tossed in to the sugar syrup immediately from the oil kadai. Do not take much time to drain the oil. Immediate dipping retains the crunchiness as well as enhances the sugar syrup absorption.
- Now to make the jalebis, heat oil in a kadai. Meanwhile pour the batter inside the ziploc bag and make a small cut at the edge of the ziploc. The hole should not be too big or too thin.
- Once the oil is hot enough for deep frying (when you add a drop of batter in the oil it will come rising to the top almost immediately) , Squeeze the ziploc in the circular motion until you get atleast 3 concentric circles.
- Allow the jalebis to rest in the sugar syrup for 2 to 3 minutes, after they can be drained out, garnish it with saffron and serve hot.
Yummy hot and crispy homemade jalebi is ready to be served as a dessert for any festival occasion.
- Ensure the batter is thick and firm, or else they won’t retain the shape of the jalebis.
- The oil should be medium hot. If it is too hot, squeezing would be more tough and the jalebis will end up burnt.
- Also make sure you keep the heat on low when you pipe the jalebis into the oil, so that you can see the piping and adjust it for the better shape.
- Believe me the first 3 to 4 jalebi will be not so good in shape, it takes time and then soon you will be a chef in no time.
Thanks for reading my blog. I really appreciate your time. If you can also put your comments or subscribe us below, it will be an excellent feedback for us. Please also consider sharing posts of PassionateMoms all it takes is a simple click on the “pin it” “like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons below the post. It will keep me motivated. Thank you! You are awesome!