I was trying to recollect the last time I prepared Shrimp/Prawn biriyani. To my surprise, I haven’t tried at all. Yes, unfortunately, I have food sensitivity towards shrimps. My hubby loves sea-foods especially prawns and typically I use to cook shrimps only to surprise my hubby.
With the Christmas and New year shopping on the way, how could I convince my hubby without making this irresistible Shrimp Biriyani? Yes, I made this last Sunday and as expected he loved it and by the way the shopping tour is on the weekend schedule already. Even though I have an allergy towards prawn I couldn’t resist myself on having the biriyani so just had the kuska alone ;).
Coming back to the recipe I prepared this in a pressure cooker as it can be prepared in a jiffy. Shrimp Biriyani has the quality of being both delicate and full of flavor. Let’s get started with the recipe.
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 40 mins (Halfcooking prawns + preparing biriyani).
Serves – 3 to 4
Recipe Category: Main course/Rice Recipes
Basmati Rice or Seeraga samba Rice – 2 cups
Water – 4 cups
Deveined & Cleaned Shrimps/Prawns – 10 to 12 pieces
Onion-2 large thinly sliced
Green chili – 2 (without splitting)
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 TBL spn
Coriander Leaves-1/2 cup
Mint leaves- 1/2 cup
Thick Unsour Curd / Yogurt -1 cup
Red chili powder – 2 tsp or to taste
Garam Masala powder(optional)
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder /Malli podi – 1 tblspn
Oil – 3tblspn
Ghee – 1tblspn
Salt to taste
Lemon Juice as needed
Fennel Seeds / Sombu / Saunf – 1 tsp
Cinnamon / Pattai – 1 small stick
Cloves / Krambu – 5
Bay Leaf – 1
- Wash and Soak the basmati rice for around 30 min, then drain it and set aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai and half cook the marinated prawns/shrimps and keep aside.
- Now in the same oil, crackle all the seasoning ingredients and add in the whole green chilli, onion and fry on a low heat till brown. Now add the ginger garlic paste and saute till raw smell goes off.
- Add in coriander leaves and mint leaves, tomatoes and spice powders. Mix this well, let the oil can be separated from the masala.
- Add in yogurt and give a good mix. Now throw in the half cooked shrimp pieces and saute it.
- Add in the soaked Basmati rice and combine well. Pour in 4 cups of water and season with some salt, lemon juice and mix well.
- Cover the pressure cooker and cook it for 3 to 4 counts of the whistle. Now turn off the heat and let the steam go all by itself.
- Once cooked, open the pressure cooker and fluff it with a fork. You can add some fried onions at this point and mix well.
That’s It! Spicy Irresistible Shrimp/Prawn Biriyani is ready to be served with onion raita and any appetizers.
- Marinating the prawns and half cooking it enables the shrimps to blend well with the biriyani.
- Whistle counts have to be adjusted according to the pressure cooker you use.
- Garnishing with fried onions enhances the biriyani taste.
- Close the cooker once all the ingredients were added & do not allow the mixture to boil for more time which may lead to overcooking of prawns.
Hope you loved this recipe!Thanks for stopping by and Share if you like the post.
Products from Amazon.in
Price: INR 147.00
Price: Out of stock
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: INR 119.00Was: INR 169.00
Price: Out of stock