Lemon Rice is an instant lunch box recipe and its tangy taste is so refreshing. It is also a good option for travel. It’s not my all time favorite food but my husband loves it and just relishes the recipe. Lemon rice goes well with any spiced veggie fry. Roasted potato/ Potato fry is the best option. Let’s get into the recipe
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 20 mins
Serves : 2
Recipe Category : Main Course / Rice Recipes
Rice – 2 cups cooked
Lemon Juice – 3 tblspn or to taste
Salt – To taste
For Tempering :
Oil- 2 tblspn
Ulundu Paruppu /Urad dal – 1 tsp
Kaduku / Mustard seeds -1/2 tsp
Kadalai Paruppu / Channa Dal – 1 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 2 broken
Curry leaves – 1 spring
Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi -1tsp
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add the mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, dry red chillies, curry leaves and fry for 30 seconds.
- Now add in salt and turmeric powder and saute for a while.
- Add the cooked rice(each grains have to be separated) and the lemon juice in and mix well. Stir until everything is heated through and immediately switch off the flame.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with any spicy side dish. My favourite choice is potato poriyal.
- Most people skip the adding turmeric powder part but it gives a unique aroma and enhances the taste. So try adding it.
- Rice should be not boiled too much which might create lumps while mixing. Cook rice in such a way that each grains are separate.
- Try not to serve the lemon rice with vadagam or appalam which makes the recipe unhealthy. Prepare some spicy fried veggies as accompaniment.